Compendium of Monographs
The Compendium of Monographs can help speed the evaluation of the safety and efficacy of medicinal ingredients commonly used in natural health products. A monograph is a written description of particular elements on an identified topic.
Natural Health Products Directorate's (NHPD) product licensing system allows applicants to reference the monographs below in support of the safety and efficacy of their product, rather than providing evidence for ingredients that are already known to be safe and efficacious when used under the conditions specified in the monographs.
Monographs are now accessible via the Natural Health Products Ingredients Database.
- Natural Health Products Ingredients Database
- The Natural Health Products Ingredients Database has replaced the list of acceptable non-medicinal ingredients. The database provides information on acceptable medicinal and non-medicinal ingredients, standard terminology, and single ingredient and product monographs.
- Summary of NHP/DRUG Classification of TPD Category IV Labelling Standards Ingredients
- This is a list of classification of the medicinal ingredients that are found in the Category IV Monographs and the TPD Labelling Standards. The list of ingredients is organized by the name of the monograph or labelling standard and includes the ingredient name and its classification (i.e. as a natural health product or drug).
- Compendium of Monographs - Guidance Document
- This document outlines and describes what a monograph is and how it can be used in a product application for natural health products sold in Canada.